Sunday, May 17, 2009

5/17 A Chick Field Trip




Today it was gorgeous outside!  85+ degrees, a bit breezy, and a sweet spring smell in the air.  The boys and I did some yard work and after an afternoon of manual labor it was time for some hosing off and a refreshing popsicle.  I felt it was holding at around 85, so I made the decision to bring the nursery outside for a little while.

Tom and I decided this morning to make a wire lid out of some 19-gauge hardware cloth, just to keep the cats from nosing around in the nursery while we're out of the room.  It was a little wider than we needed so we just bent down the sides so it hung over about 8 inches on either side.  

When we brought the chicks outside, it was originally just my idea to let them enjoy a little sunshine, but as they seemed to like it outside and didn't seem cold, I decided to put one in the grass to see how she'd do.  Well, our cat, Maizy, immediately went into stalking mode, so for the chicks protection, I put the wire lid over her and presto! and outdoor playpen was born.   

Talk about happy chickens!  Oh, it was delightful to watch them scratch around in the grass and pick the ground for whatever they wanted.

Hazel and Boots both found burrowing themselves into the grass and laying down almost irresistable.  (She's sleeping, I swear!) 

They spent at least an hour in their little outdoor pen, and when we finally brought them back inside, they all settled into a nice long nap. Going outside must have been quite a highlight for them all.  And it was great entertainment for us as well.  I love happy chickens.  

No comments:

Post a Comment